Movies/tv shows

 Hadestown: Thoughts

Somebody get me a box of tissues, some rope, and a chair because WHAT did I just watch. 2 hours of pure devastation and heartbreak. Alright so If you need some background info Hadestown is a musical about the story of Orpheus and Eurydice. Orpheus was a poor musician and Eurydice was a hungry and cold girl who made a deal with Hades to work for him for stability and security. 

When I tell you this musical actually broke me...I MEAN IT! I haven't watched many musicals but oh my goodness this is going up in the hall of fame because what do you meannnnn?!? The songs in this musical might just be the best songs ever made for a musical ever! Obviously I knew the song "Wait for me" cause of tiktok but seeing it with full context just had be a weeping sobbing mess. I knew I was so thoroughly fricked when Eurydice made the deal with Hades, Orpheus and Eurydice's love actually breaks my heart into pieces, in fact this whole musical ripped my heart out of my chest and stomped on it multiple times. I cannot begin to describe the feeling Hadestown gives me, It's like watching the Mona Lisa get painted. 

Also I was so mad when Orpheus turned around. But I also heard this saying "An Orpheus that never turns around is an Orpheus who never went to Hadestown in the first place" I very much agree with that statement. And I understand why he looked back as well. I mean he couldn't hear her or her footsteps and had so much doubt and isolation in his mind. I love how it's a metaphor for grief, that Eurydice was never meant to come back and that she was always meant to stay in the Underworld. To love is to turn around. 

Oh yeah and I watched the one with Jack Wolfe and Morgan Dudley. They both did so well on the role and were so captivating on my screen. PS. If you want to watch Hadestown with those 2 in it search up "Hadestown slime tutorial" on youtube". There's a bunch of ones with different actors, I think. I'm not sure if there's any other way to watch it except for theaters but I didn't want to spend money on it without knowing if I liked it beforehand. I might be considering watching it in theaters but then that would be my 3rd time in a month lol. And additionally I heard that in the original myth It was a miscalculation. He had stepped out of the underworld but Eurydice was a step further back then he was and he turned around to early. All because he was too excited to see her😭. Brb CRYING right now. Did I fail to mention I literally JUST finished it right now. I had to write my thoughts out before they were gone out of my mind, Another reason to love my blog💗. I was searching up edits of Hadestown and tell me why I saw one with Orbiter by Noah Kahn in the background, like I have horrible coping skills you cannot combine devastation with devastation. Oh my gosh and on top of that I'm planning on seeing spiderman this weekend, My poor heart CANNOT catch a break. 

Sidenote if any information I gave was wrong please tell me! I would hate to spread misinformation to however many or little are reading this post. Let me know your guys thoughts on Hadestown!



1 comment:

  1. I abosolutely LOVED hadestown when I watched in theaters and they way that even if you know that he is going to turn around you kinda end up hoping that he doesn't and they way that in the proshot orpheus makes it to the LAST step before turning around BREAKS me and the fates are AMAZING and the political allegories are so prevalent and so relevant to right now it is outwordlyyy

    ReplyDelete

Daily life/Diary

  Room inspo: